It is important to practice the writing tasks ahead of your IELTS test to ensure that you do well. Read through my top tips for success in IELTS Writing Task 1 and then have a go at the practice test below.
TOP TIPS FOR WRITING TASK 1
- Spend no more than 20 minutes on this part of the writing test paper
- Ensure you write over 150 words
- As you read the task, carefully consider whether you should be writing a formal or informal letter.
- Remember, informal letters are letters to people you know really well, such as your friends and family, and will include more ‘casual’ language (e.g. Hi! How are you? Speak soon.).
- Formal letters have a more serious tone and will not contain abbreviations, e.g. I am writing to inform you that…
- Follow our suggestion for using your time best in this IELTS test:
- 3 minutes: Planning
- 14 minutes: Writing
- 3 minutes : Editing and improving
- Use the 3 minutes of editing time at the end to carefully read through your writing, checking for spelling mistakes, punctuation mistakes, capital letter mistakes and ensuring that the letter makes sense and reads well.
You are writing to an old family friend to ask him/her to attend your birthday party.
Write a letter to invite your friend and be sure to:
- Tell your friend about the party you are having for your birthday
- Explain how important it is for you that he/she attends
- Suggest that your friend can stay at the hotel next to the venue during the visit
How is everything with you and the family?
I wanted to drop you a line to let you know about the party I am having next month for my 40th birthday.
As it is a milestone birthday, I decided to do something a bit different. I’m renting out an entire sports hall where we will play bubble football! Have you ever tried it before? I did it once at a work team building event and I thought it’s be so fun doing it with all of my closest friends. There’ll be a selection of food and drinks there too – don’t worry, I’ll make sure we have some of your favourite hamburgers!
There’s a great hotel located next to the sports centre. In fact, its only a five minute walk between there and the party venue, so I’d recommend that you book there. It also has a restaurant that serves a great breakfast. You might be grateful of that the morning after!
It would mean the world to me if you are able to attend. You’re my oldest friend in the world and it really wouldn’t be the same without you there.
Let me know as soon as possible.
Word count: 202 words